Thank you for your interest in applying for a Habitat for Humanity project. Habitat for Humanity Lakeside’s family selection committee chooses homeowners using criteria in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, religion, material status or because, all or part of, an applicants income is derived from public assistance programs.
General Criteria for Qualifying for a Habitat for Humanity Project
You will be considered for a Habitat project if your present housing is not adequate and if you are unable to obtain adequate housing through other conventional means. Lack of conventional housing may include problems with: the present structure, water, electrical or sewage system services, heating system or failure to meet city property maintenance standards. Also taken into consideration are the numbers, the ages and the sex of children compared to the number of bedrooms in your present home (i.e. overcrowding).
The percentage of your monthly income that you currently spend on housing is considered to determine need. Also, there are income income guidelines depending on where you currently live and the program that you are applying for.
Ability to pay
Since Habitat for Humanity Lakeside projects are a hand up, not a hand out, you must demonstrate your ability to pay an affordable, no-interest loan provided by Habitat for Humanity Lakeside for the cost of your project.
To be eligible for a project with Habitat for Humanity Lakeside, an applicant must currently work or live in Sheboygan County and have done so for the 1 year immediately prior to the application, have had a steady source of income for at least 2 years, and not filed bankruptcy within 3 years.
Credit history, including any outstanding loans will be taken into determination as well.
Willingness to participate as a partner with Habitat
If selected and approved by the Board of Directors, you become a “partner family” in the Habitat movement.
A set amount of hours of “sweat equity” is required for every project. The amount of hours required is determined by your type of project i.e. New Construction, Rehabilitation, A Brush with Kindness. Your assistance with your home and the homes of others, called “sweat equity” may include clearing the lot, painting, helping with construction, helping prepare lunches for volunteers or working on administrative work for the affiliate. As a partner family you must individually complete 70% of your sweat equity hours. Relatives and friends may contribute the remaining 30% of sweat equity hours, thereby helping your family complete this requirement.
You will be responsible for future maintenance and repairs on your home.
To apply for a particular program and learn about their specific qualifying criteria, visit one of these pages that best describes your situation:
Becoming A Homeowner- Those who are currently living in substandard living conditions and do not currently own a home.
Existing Homeowners- Those who already live in and own a home that could use a little TLC.